25 May 2011

The Oprah Mystique


After viewing the last 3 shows of Oprah's farewell from network TV and completing 25 seasons of a show viewed not only by millions in the USA but globally; the concept phenomenon comes to mind.  I've had ambivalent feelings about this "phenomenal woman" over the years and watched her many public moods, appearances  and personal struggles.   A reigning sense of wonder regarding her ability to be so forthright about her own "issues" and I must confess; at times had hoped that she wouldn't be so open.  The latter has been the catalyst for the "haters" and those who take issue with some of her beliefs and practices that keep the rags in business.  With that said...it has frankly, made the terrain of her life a mixture of deep valleys as well as mountain peaks.  She left today riding high--I mean, a Mt. Everest kind of high.  I cried the other day when the Morehouse men filed to the stage and some of the testimonies featured as to what her financial assistance did for their lives struck me in a deep place.  What also struck me was so many of them went on to do great things and provide services and hope to others.  The empowerment of women has been the touchstone of her mission as well.  Oh, the many stories of triumphs and overcoming impossible odds and providing a pathway for them to become movers and shakers on many levels of society.  They call this the "Oprah Effect".  The latter will I'm sure make this new endeavor OWN a success.                             

One can go on and on about this phenomenal woman who has recognized that she has flaws like the rest of us but I think the most endearing quality about her is that she's always moving forward and trying to be the best that she can be.  If she stumbles or falls; Oprah springs back up and brushes herself off and continues to do what is necessary to make her "calling" more meaningful and to be of service to others. She frequently cites a quote by Dr. Maya Angelou..."When you know better--you do better"! Over the years as she's learned her lessons; the beauty within shines ever so bright and enhances the image of the gorgeous woman who waved to us as she left the stage today.  Humanitarianism and philanthropy have been taken to new heights because of this lady and the world loves her for it.

Today's speech was uplifting and vintage Oprah as she cites "To God The Glory", however, the one that really captures her spirit and mission sanctioned by the most high for me-- is the speech she gave at the NAACP Hall Of Fame Induction 2005.

"I COME AS ONE, BUT I STAND AS 10,000 TO THE 10TH POWER".




Blessings to you Ms. Oprah Winfrey and your soul mate, Mr. Stedman Graham.  He let the world know the other day how much he loves you and the impact you've had on his life.



Link:
http://www.oprah.com/own 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post and tribute to a phenomenal woman! I love what she said: "God can dream a bigger dream for you than you could ever dream for yourself"!

Carolyn Moon said...

@Desertflower" AMEN TO THAT! :-)

Nelson said...

Hello my friend ! Have a lovely weekend and enjoy. Warm regards from Rio de Janeiro/ Brasil.

Nelson said...

Thank you for stopping by! I really do appreciate your taking the time to leave a comment...I read each and everyone of them. I hope your day is a good one and that you will come back again soon. Take care. Nelson Souzza :)

Ps.: add your link in my blog too.. I am a new follower.

Carolyn Moon said...

@Nelson...I appreciate your support.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I watched her show here in SA yesterday about her presenting her long lost Sister, Patricia (#2) to the world.

She's great!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...